Empanandas are so delicious and easy! When using pre-made pie crust, it makes it even easier. They make a great meal or appetizer, they are like little meat pie turnovers. Toddlers love them thinking they have a little pie of their own.
There are a lot of different ways to make Empanandas, I like to make mine on the healthier side, and I don't like to put raisins or hard boiled eggs in them, which some of the recipes call for.
Once you find out how easy these are to make you will find yourself wanting to stuff these little pies with everything. Get creative in the kitchen and start experimenting with chicken or veggies, and make little pot pies. Or, how about some apples, making an apple turnover.
For now...enjoy these Empanandas and let me know how it goes for you. I appreciate any comments or ideas. Enjoy!
Total Servings: 8 Total Cost: $5.50
1lb of Ground Turkey Breast
1 Box of Pre-made flat Pie Crust (They roll out, and are next to the biscuits at the grocery, there are 2 crusts to a box)
1-14.5oz can of no sodium Diced Tomatoes-DRAINED
1/2 Cup of Shredded Cheese-I like Mexican blend
3 Red Potatoes
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1 tsp of Garlic Powder
1 tsp of Ground Cumin
1 tsp of Oregano
1/4 tsp of Allspice
1/2 tsp of Black pepper
1/8 Cup of Hot Sauce-Optional
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Set your pie crust out to thaw
- Dice your Potatoes, carrots, and onion into small chunks
- In a skillet put all ingredients, except for your cheese and pie crust
- Cover skillet, cook until meat is browned, and potatoes and carrots are soft
- Remove from heat when done, drain any liquid, let cool, then add Cheese before filling pies
- Spray cookie sheet with Pam
- Take Pie crust out of wrapper and it should lay out into a circle
- Cut crust into 4 pieces, like a cross, making 4 triangular pieces
- Place a spoonful of mixture on one end, not too much, fold the other end over making both sides come together
- Wet your fingers, pinch the edges together sealing it, it should look like a turnover
- Place them on cookie sheet, poke tops with a fork, and spray tops with Pam
- Bake in oven 20-30 minutes until brown