Something about summer puts me in a salad mood. A Caprese salad, is not only easy, but the taste is so delicious, it makes a great presentation, and is very filling. Use it as a salad, main dish, or even appetizer.
The best way to make this is with fresh basil. If you don't already have a basil plant, next time you go to the grocery, get one in the produce department. I was there yesterday and they are $1.99. If you want to plant one check out my How to plant your own herb garden blog post and start enjoying your fresh basil.
I have made this in the winter without any fresh basil, I used dried basil flakes, it tasted great also.
Makes 6 Servings Cost: $4.00
4 Large Tomatoes-You can get different kinds like orange or yellow to mix it up
1 4-6oz chunk of Fresh Mozzarella-Less expensive by the shredded cheese section
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
20 Basil Leaves-approximately
1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
Coarse Salt & Fresh ground Pepper
- Slice your tomatoes
- Arrange them on a plate
- Slice your mozzarella
- Stack-I like to put a tomatoes, then basil leaf, then mozzarella piece. This ensures the basil leaf will stay put for a bite of all three.
- Drizzle olive oil over all of them
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar over all of them
- Top with remaining basil leaves
- Coarse salt and Ground Pepper on top