I was reading a message on Facebook yesterday. A girl said she was learning how to eat on a budget, a
There was a time when I was living by myself, working on my Cd, and had very little money for my food budget. I was also training at the time, so I was on a strict protein diet. I learned that I could grocery shop at the Dollar Store or Big Lots, for very little money, living on tuna sandwiches and Salmon patties. I call them patties, some people call them burgers.
They had cans of salmon for $1.29, spices for .49, and bread for $1.00. For less then $10 a week I had meals. One can of Salmon made 6 Patties. Tuna was breakfast and lunch. I did this for a couple months. Needless to say, I love Salmon patties, I was raised on them, but I did not have them for awhile after that :)
So I thought I would share my yummy Salmon Burger Recipe with you. You have to like Salmon, but these are not fishy, are sort of like a crab cake, and a healthy alternative to hamburgers. My toddler loves these also, they make a great baby finger food.
Servings 6 Cost: $2.00
1 Can of Salmon
1 Egg or Egg Beater
1/4 Cup of Parmesan Cheese
2 Tbsp of Hot Sauce
1 Tbsp of Lemon Juice
1 tsp of finely chopped Rosemary
1 tsp of Basil
1 tsp of Garlic Powder or Chopped Garlic
1/4 tsp of Black pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
*Optional 2 Tbsp of chopped onion or scallion
- Open can of Salmon,drain liquid, and put into bowl
- I like to remove the outside skin and middle bones. They do mix in, and you can eat them.
- Put all ingredients into bowl
- Mix with spoon until everything is mixed in
- In a skillet on medium high heat put a little olive oil on bottom of pan
- With your hands form small patties (One can makes 6 patties, for a size reference.)
- Cook patties until each side is brown and crispy (approximately 5 minutes on each side)