Pork or Chicken w/Black Beans & Rice
I created this dish when I was pregnant and on bed rest. I was all about meals for lunch or dinner, that were in the crockpot, that basically did not require me to stand.
This is an easy dish that can be cooked in the oven or crockpot. You can use any kind of pork chops, tenderloin, or chicken. (Boneless is better, but if you use bone in, remove the bones before serving.) I watch for the tenderloins to go on sale, or buy one get one free.
I like to use this dish for my leftovers in the fridge, that need to be used up soon, such as: Peppers, Onions, Salsa, Jalapenos, tomatoes. Just chop them up and add them in.
Makes 6 Servings Cost: $8.25
1 Pork Tenderloin or 4-6 Pork Chops or 4-6 Chicken Breasts-These can be frozen...no need to thaw
2 Cans of Low Sodium Black Beans
1 Can of Low Sodium diced Tomatoes or 1 Container of Salsa (I like the fresh salsa that is in the produce section, not in a jar, but any kind will work.)
1 Small onion-Optional
1 Green Pepper-Optional
1 Tbsp of Garlic Powder or Chopped Garlic
1 Tbsp of Ground Cumin
1 Tbsp of Oregano
1/8 Cup of your favorite Hot Sauce-I use Crystal
In the oven:
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Dice up your Onion, Jalapeno, and green pepper. (If you use Salsa, instead of tomatoes, you can eliminate these items.)
- I like to rinse and drain my beans to remove some of the sodium, but this is optional.
- In a casserole dish combine all of the ingredients, cover with foil
- If you are cooking with fresh meat remove foil at 45 minutes, if it was frozen, remove foil at 1 1/2 hr.
- Bake for 1 Hr if meat was fresh, or 2 hr if it was frozen, until meat is cooked through.
- Combine all ingredients in a crockpot
- Cook on low for 6 hrs or high for 4hrs
*This is a great dish for smoked sausage- If you use smoked
sausage: just chop it up, put all ingredients in a large skillet, bring
to a boil, and simmer for 20 minutes serve over rice.*I have also used shrimp- If you use fresh shrimp: bring everything to boil except the shrimp, in a large skillet then simmer. Add fresh peeled shrimp, in the last 6 minutes of simmering. (I watch for the Publix Greenwise, frozen shrimp specials or buy one get one free. Shrimp is great for a quick protein, making a healthy meal.