15 Bean Soup
1 Package of Dried 15 Bean Soup beans-Throw away spice packet
1 Package of Turkey Smoked Sausage-Optional
1 Tbsp of Ground Cumin
1 Tbsp of Basil
1 Tbsp of Chopped Garlic or Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp of Hot Sauce-Optional
1 tsp of Salt-Optional
1 Onion Chopped-Optional
- Rinse beans off, in a strainer, to clean them
- The night before put beans in crock pot
- Add enough water in crock pot, until beans are completely covered
- The next morning, you will find, that the beans have soaked up all of the water
- Dice up your smoked sausage and onion add to beans
- Put in all of your seasonings and herbs that you want
- Add water again until beans are completely covered
- Cook on Hi 6 hours or Lo for 8 hrs
There are no rules when it comes to bean soup. You can play around with the spices and herbs and do whatever you like. This same recipe can be used for any kind of dry beans. The key is just to soak them overnight.
You can cook this also on the stove. Follow all of the steps the same way. Just instead of the crock pot cook them in Large Pot. Bring to boil then simmer for approximately 3-4 hours until beans are tender and soup has thickened.
The best way, is to just serve this in a bowl, as a soup. Maybe add some corn bread on the side. I like Jiffy corn muffin mix the best. It is usually costs about .59 cents and takes only 10 minutes to cook. I like to make corn muffins, you can just add in a little chopped jalapeno or handful of frozen corn to spruce it up.
Another way to serve any kind of bean soup, is simply over some brown rice.