I don't think I have ever met anyone who does not like a good Sloppy Joe! I
have met many people that think it only comes in a can, and is called Manwich :)
It actually is a recipe that you can play around with and make it as sweet and spicy as you like. It makes a great meal for having guests over for a hamburger/hotdog alternative. It is a very budget friendly meal that can serve a lot of people, just double the recipe.
This is also a dish you can make in the crock pot. If you use ground turkey breast no need to brown meat ahead of time. Just put all ingredients in crock pot mix together well and cook on low 3hrs high for 2hrs. Stirring occasionally.
I like to serve these with either Sweet Potato Fries or Red Potato Fries. You can also serve with different toppings such as cheese, and pickles. You can leave out the peppers and onions when you cook them, and let people put them on top instead.
I would love to hear from you and comments or suggestions. Enjoy!
Total Servings: 6 Total Cost: $4.00
2 lbs Ground Turkey Breast
1 8oz can Tomato Sauce
1/2 Cup Ketchup
3 Tbsp Yellow Mustard
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Chopped Garlic or Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp of Red Pepper Flakes-optional-for a kick
1 Small Onion chopped-optional
1 Green Pepper Chopped-optional
Sliced Jalapeno - Optional
- In a skillet brown turkey breast, diced onion, and green pepper if using them
- You might need to add a little water to skillet if there is no grease
- Drain any liquid when browned
- Place all ingredients into skillet
- Mix well
- Cover and simmer on low for 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally
- Serve on whole wheat kaiser rolls, wheat wrap, or hamburger bun