Beef Vegetable Barley Soup
soup recipes. Soup is a great way to have a healthy, inexpensive meal, feed a lot of people, or have leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day! This is a great soup for the crockpot...can't get any easier then that!
Some like this soup without the vegetables, I like putting vegetables in things wherever I can, to make a healthy, well rounded meal. If you want to skip the chopping, they make a bag of frozen chopped vegetables for soup, it works great!
It can be whatever vegetables you have on hand. Just keep in mind to always stay away from canned vegetables. They have hardly any nutritional value left in them, and usually are full of sodium and preservatives. Frozen are sometimes even better then fresh, depending on the season.
I would love to hear from you! Enjoy!
Total Servings: 8-10 Total Cost:$7.50
1lb of Cut up Beef Stew meat
7 Cups of water
1/2 Cup of Barley
1 8oz bag of Baby Carrots
1 Small Onion
2 Stalks of Celery
8oz of Sliced Mushrooms
1 Cup of Frozen Peas
1 Tbsp Chopped Garlic or Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp Worcester Sauce
1 Tbsp Thyme
1 Tbsp Parsley
1 Whole Bay Leaf
1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
Salt to taste
- Chop and Slice your vegetables according to desired size
- You can saute the meat, onion, garlic, and celery first or
- Place all ingredients into a large pot, except your Barley, Bring to a boil
- Reduce to medium heat, simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally
- Place Barley into mixture, simmer for another 1 hour
- Place all ingredients into a crockpot cook on Low for 6-8hrs