Homemade Hummus & Pita Chips
My Toddler loves Hummus! It makes a nice healthy protein, an inexpensive appetizer, a nice snack to have in the fridge, or even something to make a sandwich with. Most people have never heard of, or even tried Hummus, if that is you you need to try it!
Many people buy hummus pre-made and it can be quite expensive. But, you can make this recipe for about 75cents. Talk about something to put on the menu if you are planning a party on a budget, this is it! If you want it for a party I would double this recipe for sure. You can also double this recipe and just have it in the fridge for snacks or lunches. It keeps for awhile.
If you follow my blog, you know I use Crystal Hot Sauce. It is not too hot, has no sugar, and less sodium then most other brands. You can use whatever kind you like, but you might want to do 1 Tbsp at a time, to make sure it is not too hot.
Once you have a base idea for how to make Hummus, you can add all kinds of things to it. Get creative! Try a chopped up Red Pepper, Sun dried tomatoes, or even 1/2 cup of goat or feta cheese.
I like Hummus served as a sandwich, on bread or in a pita with tomato and feta cheese. Experiment with this and let me know about this recipe or others would love to hear any comments or suggestions from you. Enjoy!
Total Servings: 6-8 Total Cost: .75
1 Can Garbanzo Beans
3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp Water
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp Garlic Powder or Chopped Garlic
2 Tbsp Crystal Hot Sauce
1 Tsp Dried or fresh Parsley
*For an extra kick add 1/2 tsp of Red Pepper Flakes
- Drain Beans and rinse them
- In a food processor put all ingredients
- Turn on high for approximately 2 minutes until creamy consistency
- Take spatula scoop into bowl
- Can top with Parsley or Red Pepper flakes to garnish
- Serve with vegetables, on a sandwich, or with pita chips
If you are making these chips for 1 can of beans, I would only suggest 2-3 pitas cut into triangles. One bag of chips makes a lot of chips. I do though sometimes make the whole bag, then when they cool I put them back in the bag, and put a twist tie on them for later.
Total Servings: 15-20 Cost: $1.25
1 Bag of Whole Wheat Pita Chips
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 Tbsp of Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp of Basil
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Stack your pita bread
- Cut them with sharp knife all the way through into triangles
- Spread them over a cookie sheet into single layer
- Drizzle olive oil, garlic powder, and basil over all of them
- Take your hands, tossing them, work the oil and spices over both sides
- Spread chips back on sheet into single layer
- Bake until brown and crispy approximately 20-30 minutes